When I look at the calendar these days I can barely believe its almost the 4th of July– how did it get to be mid-summer already?? This June gloom business has been making me feel like it’s ages away but luckily the season stretches well into October here so I know the best is still to come. Even so, I hate the feeling of time slipping through my fingers and so I like to make little wishlists of things that I’d like to do so that when it is dark at 5pm i can look back at all the fun things we did and remember beautiful times.
Here are some of the things we’d like to do to make it feel like summer– what are some of yours?
- take a nice long camping trip- last year we spoiled ourselves with nearly three weeks of camping up the california coast. I was skeptical at first (what the hell are we going to do all day??) but the serenity of being with just “us” and the freedom to do nothing but eat, swim, hike, read, write and sleep was a craving I never knew I had. Now it’s an annual must! We just booked 5 days over labor day in the Sequoias and are pretty freaking excited.
- throw a little backyard party- summer is complete with fun cocktails, good friends and cafe lights.
- ride bikes to the pier for one of the concerts in the twilight series – we will pack a blanket, wine, a picnic and a paper bag with votives
- spend a day at disneyland- the last time I went to Disney(world) I was six and space mountain was all the rage. My sister and I waited to get the very front seat while our mom clung on to us for dear life… OY! I used to be a roller coaster maniac when I was a kid… I hope I can still hold up!
- ride the ferris wheel at the pier– just a little neighborhood date night love. with churros.
- go berry picking- the vermonter in me says its not really summer unless you return home at least once with buckets and bellies full of blueberries
- make a dinner from our garden- ok so our strawberries and basil are dead. Were not sure what to do about that. But the zukes and cukes are going strong.. and we WILL make something amazing with them!
- watch scary movies with ghosts at the hollywood forever cemetery– we actually went with friends a few weeks ago to watch Nightmare on Elm Street– not the most convenient activity, I must admit… but a fun and unique experience!
- make peach cobbler- this was my Dad’s fave. Our peaches are slowly getting ripe and when they are ready we will have more than we know what to do with!
- go to a fun concert at the hollywood bowl or greek theatre– more open air, night skies and good music… because its s u m m e r