Hey y’all. Today i want to talk about routine– because I am kind of the worst at it!
List-making, I got that down. Planning and scheduling? Check. But when it come to actually sticking to the to-do’s I’ve set for myself, I tend to drift into go-with-the-flow-mode, ditching plan A for plan B, which is always “whatever else comes up that sounds better.” This open-for-possibility attitude is totally my motto (and part of my gypsy spirit that I love) but one best reserved for roadtrips rather than workdays. Because the truth is that I thrive with routine, and too much free time on my hands somehow never leads to afternoons at the beach, but instead to snacking, errand-running, and other unproductive things that ultimately all go by the name of p-r-o-c-r-a-s-t-i-n-a-t-i-o-n.
SO. Now that I’m about to turn 28 I thought I’d challenge myself to keep a routine for 28 days (clever, huh? I didn’t even realize the 28-28 link till proofreading. Go me!) – because that’s how long it supposedly to form a habit. From there I’ll check back in and decide how well it’s working.
Since I’d still like to keep the afternoons open for beach days (hey, it might happen) I’m going to focus on my morning routine, namely the pre-9am hours that I spend guiltily sleeping in after my man has left for work.
Here’s how it’s gonna go- read more after the jump!
- pre-6:30: Super puppy snuggle time. Really can’t be asked to do much more.
- 6:30: Wake up and set an intention for the day with PJ. What better way to start the day than with a little conscious thought?
- 6:45: Make a cup of hot water with 1/2 lemon, dash of cayenne, and 1TB of apple cider vinegar. So cleansing. Good morning digestion!
- 7:00: Write my morning pages. I love this exercise dubbed ” the brain-drain” because it gives space for little nagging thoughts, doubts and annoyances to live rather than keeping them spinning inside me all day long. Plus every now and then a stream of genius consciousness spills out amidst the other gunk and I feel like maybe my best writing days aren’t all behind me after all.
- 7:45: Shuffle and pull a card from my new Wild Unknown tarot deck. I just got this from my momma and sissy as an early b-day pressie and I’m already in love- not just with the illustrations, but the words. The author suggests “while shuffling, simply ask something to the affect of “what should I focus on today? …. Pick a card and spend a moment with the imagery before you rush to decipher the meaning. Let’s say (as an extreme example) that you pick the death card. Don’t be too literal about it. Instead, review your attachments… something has been holding you back. What is it?” I’ve been working on giving less of a crap about what others think, and instead seeking within for the answers. I love the way this deck can be used to look at situations from am angle that may have been overlooked.
- 8:00: Make the bed, empty the dishwasher if needed. Apparently making the bed makes you happier? I know it at least makes PJ happier when I do these things!
- 8:15: Make a Cacao Magic Smoothie. I tell you, it’s basically coffee/ crack/ anti-depressant/ vitamin all in one (and even that doesn’t give it justice). I can go a day without my CM smoothie, but I don’t like to. Check it out here. I make mine with 1C almond milk, 2TB Cacao Magic, 1 banana and 2 ice cubes. I’m usually not hungry again until around 1pm!
- 8:30: Sneaks on and out the door. It’s running weather. No excuses.
So there you have it. From 6:30-9am you’ll know exactly what I’m doing! Nothing ground-breaking here, just a few things I think will make my days brighter. I’m taking this routine-setting business one step at time, but next on my list is regular blogging– so I’ll let you know how this all goes but I can’t promise regular updates (yet!)
Do you have any type routine that works for you? Your comments and support keeps me motivated. Please and thank you!